It is no longer news that the general elections are coming up next year February according to Independent National Electoral Commission. The political atmosphere in Nigeria is quite tensed with many politicians who have made their interest to become president known. The battle line has been drawn and everything is set for the candidates to test their popularity.
The two major political parties, that is the All Progressive Congress (APC) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have been occupied with such activities in preparation for the elections. Let’s take a look at ten of the candidates who will likely pull a great challenge to themselves in their respective political parties. This list is in no particular order.
1. Prof. Yemi Osinbajo: The Vice President made his declaration to run for president just days ago. He definitely will be a force to reckon with. The Vice president is a Prof. of Law and a former commissioner during Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s tenure as governor of Lagos State. The Vice President is a strong candidate to watch out in this election. He is running under the platform of the All Progressive Congress.
2. Atiku Abubakar: He too, is a former Vice President during Obasanjo tenure. This is not the first time he will be contesting for president. He is running under the umbrella of the Peoples Democratic Party. Atiku will definitely be a tough nut to crack.
3. Bola Ahmed Tinubu: The former governor of Lagos State is the founding leader of the All Progressive Congress. He singlehandedly led the All Progressive Congress to victory in the 2015 and 2019 presidential elections. Tinubu is just an ordinary member of the party and his influence in the party should not be joked with. He will give other presidential candidate a tough run indeed.
4. Bukola Saraki: He served as the governor of Kwara State for 8 years and as Senate President. Bukola Saraki is a presidential candidate under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party. His influence in the PDP should not be taken lightly. Can he get the ticket of the PDP?
5. Aminu Tambuwal: The Governor of Sokoto and a former Speaker of the House of Representatives is another person who has thrown in his hat in the ring. He is one candidate we should look out for.
6. Rotimi Ameachi, (former governor of Rivers State and Transportation Minister). Rumour has it that he is the candidate of the president, but we don’t know how true this information is, however, Ameachi is a strong force in the APC.
7. former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim. Pius Anyim is a founding member of the PDP. He was a Senate President during President Olusegun Obasanjo tenure. What are his chances?
8. former governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi. Obi makes the list of the top 10 because he is not a new person in this raise. He was the Vice Presidential Candidate for Atiku Abubakar in 2019 presidential election.
9. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State is another strong candidate of the APC. Can he cling the ticket?
10. And lastly, Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers State makes the list. Wike has been very vocal about his intention and you don’t want to underrate him.
Which of these candidate do you believe will be a better president for Nigeria and Nigerians? Let’s hear your opinion