A Qatari banker, Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani, has submitted a bid to acquire 100 percent of the 13-time Premier League winners, Manchester United.
He became one of the two bidders who have publicly come out to bid for the English Club when he submitted his offer to buy the club on Friday after the current owners of the club announced their intention to sell three months ago.
Below are some things you need to know about Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani, especially if his bid is successful:
- Sheikh Jassim, who is a long time United supporter, was born in August 1982.
- He is the son of Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, who served as Qatar’s prime minister between 2007 and 2013.
- Sheikh Jassim went to the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst, United Kingdom where he graduated as an officer cadet.
- He is the chairman of the Qatar Islamic Bank, one of the leading banks in Qatar and Middle East’s top 30 most valuable companies in Qatar according to Forbes.
- He was once a board member of Credit Suisse Group.
- He is currently married to his cousin Sheikha Bothaina bint Hamad Al Thani and they have eight children together.
- Sheikh Jassim was the heir apparent to his father but rejected the position as Crown Prince in 2003.
- He is the older brother to Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Emir of Qatar.